By Keri Foy
|Photo by Melissa Donald|
Like an impending high school reunion, Derby prompts us to step up our beauty routines. Here are five beauty treatments Kristy Owens, cosmetic coordinator at Associates in Dermatology, recommends to give you a glow for days at the races and nights on the town.
1. Skin-brightening chemical peel. If you immediately picture the skin on your face coming off in sheets, you’ve got an outdated view of the chemical peel. “We don’t have to burn people anymore,” Kristy says. “Skin may be pink, and you may have a couple days of flakiness.” Average cost: $50-$150.
2. Dermaplaning. This on-trend service uses a scalpel to remove dead skin cells and a fine veil of peach fuzz. The scalpel may sound a little scary, but Kristy confirms she’s never heard of anyone coming out of the service with even a little nick. Dermaplaning will help your makeup go on smoothly and your skin absorb anti-aging products. Average cost: $75
3. Body contouring. “With all the hustle and bustle before Derby, no one has the time to go under the knife,” Kristy says. Aesthetic Alternatives (the cosmetic division of Associates in Dermatology) uses Vanquish, a dome-shaped body-contouring device that uses radiofrequency to heat deep tissue. The result? A tightened and toned body with no pain. “Most people take a nap during the procedure,” Kristy says.
The most popular areas to “Vanquish” are the abdomen and back (think the bulge around your bra). Kristy recommends four sessions spaced one week apart. Average cost: $500/session.
|Before and After: Vanquish|
4. Skin tightening. Tired of a sagging jaw and neck? This no-downtime service uses radiofrequency to tighten skin. “We use Exilis, the sister machine to Vanquish,” Kristy says. This service can also lift the brow, she adds. Average cost: $400/session, recommended four sessions.
|Before and After: Exilis Skin Tightening|
5. Botox and Dysport. “There’s a reason these treatments are popular,” Kristy says. Expect the full effect to take up to two weeks with some potential for bruising. Average cost: $200
Bonus for ladies on a tight budget: Wear sunscreen, drink lots of water, and splurge on the dermaplaning.
What are your must-have beauty treatments for the Derby season? Let us know!